Here’s a bit more, from Criterion’s press release: “We’re celebrating the boundless creative vision of Agnès Varda with a comprehensive collection of her genre-blurring, culture-shaping films. Bringing together all thirty-nine of her features, shorts, and documentaries for the first time, this fifteen-Blu-ray box set also contains extensive special features—many created by Varda herself—including introductions to the films, interviews with and tributes from family and friends, once-banned and unfinished works, behind-the-scenes footage, archival programs, and more. The edition is accompanied by a lavishly illustrated 200-page book, with notes on the films and essays on Varda’s life and work, as well as a selection of her photography and images of her installation art. The Complete Films of Agnès Varda captures the restless curiosity and radical imagination of a true original who invented a new cinematic language.”
Here’s a complete list of the programs and films:
- Agnès Forever – Varda by Agnès (2019), Les 3 boutons (2015)
- Early Varda – La Pointe Courte (1955), Ô saisons, ô châteaux (1958), Du côté de la côte (1958)
- Around Paris – Cléo from 5 to 7 (1962), Les fiancés du pont Macdonald (1962), L’opéra-mouffe (1958), Les dites cariatides (1984), T’as de beaux escaliers, tu sais (1986)
- Rue Daguerre – Daguerréotypes (1975), Le lion volatil (2003)
- Married Life – Le bonheur (1965), Les créatures (1966), Elsa la Rose (1966)
- In California – Uncle Yanco (1968), Black Panthers (1970), Lions Love (. . . and Lies) (1969), Mur Murs (1981), Documenteur (1981)
- Her Body, Herself – One Sings, the Other Doesn’t (1977), Réponse de femmes (1975), Plaisir d’amour en Iran (1977)
- No Shelter – Vagabond (1985), 7 p., cuis., s. de b... (à saisir) (1985)
- Jane B. – Jane B. par Agnès V. (1988), Kung-Fu Master! (1988)
- Jacques Demy – Jacquot de Nantes (1991), The Young Girls Turn 25 (1993), The World of Jacques Demy (1995)
- Simon Cinéma – One Hundred and One Nights (1995)
- La glaneuse – The Gleaners and I (2000), The Gleaners and I: Two Years Later (2002)
- Visual Artist – Faces Places, codirected with JR (2017), Salut les cubains (1964), Ulysse (1982), Ydessa, les ours et etc... (2004)
- Here and There – Agnès de ci de là Varda (2011)
- Beaches – The Beaches of Agnès (2008)
More details are available here. You can see the cover artwork above left and also below.
You can pre-order The Complete Films of Agnès Varda now on Amazon.com by clicking on the cover, along with some of the recent Scream Factory titles and more...
Finally today, we have some sad (but probably inevitable) news: Our friends at Twilight Time are closing up shop. They’re currently having a sale on all existing titles on their website while supplies last (click here for that). The company has sent us this press release, announcing their decision...
From all of us here at The Digital Bits, we want to extend our heartfelt thanks to the late great Nick Redman, along with the entire Twilight Team: Brian Jamieson, Julie Kirgo, Louis Falzarano, Mike Matessino, Jeff Jewett, and Mike Finnegan. Your service to film history, to cinephiles, and to home theater fans has been beyond the call and it’s greatly appreciated. We’re very sorry to see you go. But thank you all.
That’s all for now. Stay tuned...