The Digital Bits is pleased to
present you with Yellow Layer Failure,
Vinegar Syndrome and Miscellaneous Musings, a regular
column by Robert A. Harris.
Robert is a highly respected film producer, historian and
preservation expert, who has been responsible for some of the most
important work to save and restore our favorite classic films. In
his column, Robert will be addressing a number of topics related to
the past, present and future of home theater. He'll talk about film
preservation, various technical and quality issues related to film
and DVD, aspect ratios and a host of other subjects.
I hope you'll all join us in welcoming him and in supporting our
continuing efforts to expand the breadth of general knowledge of
film issues. And you should know that each column will tie into
discussion treads over at
Home Theater Forum (which has long been the official DVD
discussion group of The Bits)
to create an ongoing community of thought on these issues.
So select from the list of columns below and enjoy!
3/20/09 - The Reconstruction and Restoration of The Alamo
10/13/08 - Sleeping Beauty on Blu-ray
6/24/08 - DNR... and Other Things That Go Bump in the Night
5/2/08 - Thoughts on La Roue
- Hello, Manila! (or, The Firmware Update Customer Service Blues)
The Best Releases of 2006
- Value Electronics
- A Robert A. Harris Interview: Warner's Ned Price on The
- RAH's Top Classic DVDs of 2005
- RAH on King Kong: The DVD Interview
- Of REAL Added Value...
- DVD Re-releases, Q1 2005, More with Grover Crisp, Etc.
- Classic DVD: A Report Card for 2004
- A Robert A. Harris Interview: Columbia's Grover Crisp on Dr.
- A Robert A. Harris Interview: Warner Home Video's George
- American Pantheon filmmakers, Mamet, Michael Moore & MUCH
- B&W, Three-strip Technicolor, a Miramax Mystery and more
- Disney, Merchant/Ivory, Bergman & Universal Westerns
- Robert's Back with Thoughts on Recent Releases
- A Traveling Column (Plus a Look at Recent Releases)
- A Bits Extra: A Few Notes on the Lawrence of Arabia - Superbit
- Three-strip Technicolor, Paul Newman films & More
- Once Upon a Time in America
- Cinematographers, CinemaScope, John Wayne & Bob Hope
- Motion Picture High Fidelity, The Musicals of Mr. Porter and
- Finally Fox: The Films of 20th Century Fox on DVD
- Acorns and Duellists
- "Check the plate, please
" - The Complete
Montrery Pop Festival
- Goofy, Mickey, a Reluctant Dragon, Film Grain & Censorship
- Saving Sunset
- Powell and Pressburger, Color and Light
- SuperBit, THX and Six Degrees...
- Musicals and More Musings
- Films are Personal
- Aspect Ratios - Salve for the Soul
- Vinegar Syndrome is a Gas, Gas, Gas
- Eastman Color, Dye Fade, Yellow Layer Failure... and Restoration